Tuesday 26 June 2018

2017 A Round Up

2017 A Round Up



Ill let you into a secret.

I wanted to write an end-of-year "round-up" post last year, but I didnt think I had enough to talk about.

This year theres too much! Its been a busy, brilliant year.

Heres what my students and I got up to in 2017.

I started the year off with a chilly trip to Namayasai, Sussexs very own organic Japanese vegetable farm.

??Photo by Shino. Daikon radish by Namayasai.

In March, students and I were invited to the Open Day of the Brighton & Hove Japanese Club.

We tried calligraphy, made kanji name badges, and ate a lot of Japanese sweets.


The first term of 2017 flew by.

In the Easter break we had an impromptu school outing to Hove Park for hanami (cherry-blossoming viewing)...


...and to E-Kagen for noodles and Japanese beer.


May in Brighton brings the Brighton Festival and Fringe Festival.

And this year there were a few Japanese events on!

We saw a show by kick-ass Rakugo (traditional Japanese comic storytelling) performer Katsura Sunshine...

...and enjoyed the sunshine with a trip to the beach.
Students in my new Pre Intermediate class had an end-of-year visit from a special guest.

Haruna came to chat Japanese with students during the Free Talk section of class.

??Arigatou Haruna!
In July I also went to the Hyper Japan festival in London for the first time.

That was a frantic day full of shopping, different performances, and Japanese street food.

??Domo-kun (NHK mascot) and me at Hyper Japan.
Over the summer I also attended a number of brilliant workshops, as part of Ride the Wave - a business support programme run by the council and the Brighton & Hove Chamber of Commerce.

It was a great opportunity to meet like-minded small business owners!

??And I got to wear this red and white badge.
Students and I also went to the Japanese Summer Festival organised by Ohisama Ahaha, a Japanese kids group in Brighton and Hove.

We watched Japanese storytelling, made wishes for the Tanabata festival, and ate even more Japanese sweets.



Summer rolled by and I rolled off to Berlin on holiday.

This holiday is significant because its the first trip Ive taken (since starting Step Up Japanese) where I put the "out of office" on and didnt check my emails while I was away.

Working hard is important, but we all need time off too.


Many of my students were off on holiday too, including Step Up Japanese student Daniel who spent the whole month of August in Japan.

He documented his travels by taking over my Instagram with the hashtag #DanStepsUp.


In August we also had the first Step Up Japanese barbecue! Students brought lots of tasty food to share.


In October I attended the Language Show London for the first time, attending language teaching seminars...
...and Japan Foundation events including a talk from Paralympian Gold Medallist (and fluent Japanese speaker!) Noel Thatcher.


In October half term we had the first Step Up Japanese Origami Night, a relaxed affair in one of my favourite pubs.



In November I went for Japanese Afternoon Tea at Portslades Caf� an-an. This was a special event for World Vegan Day.


And before you know it, its nearly the end of the year!

Students met for noodles and festive fun at the Christmas Party.
Like I said, its been busy.

Im really, really looking forward to see what 2018 brings!

Thank you so much to everyone who came to classes, took part in events, and supported me at Step Up Japanese this year.

??????Have a good new year!


visit link download

No comments:

Post a Comment